Friday 9 March 2012

My love/hate relationship with Pinterest

I am not very crafty.  I don't scrapbook.  I have even told people that the kids helped me decorate their birthday cake even if they didn't. (shhh!  It's only happened once or twice!)  I can do things only if they involve a computer like video editing, making our own party invites or Monster High Bingo Cards.



I have discovered Pinterest along with the other millions of women in my demographic category. My first project turned out pretty great, or so I think, even for a craft adverse person.   You can see for yourself below!  I have blurred out our current address so the paparazzi can't find me.  :)  The project only involved a computer, a visit to Staples, which resulted in bribing my 2 year old with a visit to McDonald's as well. There was no scrap booking necessary!  I managed to convince my husband to build the frames,which only cost about $6, and we used some left over black paint.  It isn't too precious either just in case the boys decide they want to play soccer in the front hall while I'm doing laundry and the whole thing gets destroyed. I went with generic rules as I figured people didn't want to see "Leave the poor dog alone" and "Stop picking your nose." front and center as soon as they walked in our door.  It would have probably turned out a little better if I had let the glue dry instead of needing to hang them immediately after completion on the wall as they did bubble a bit.




Anyway, my second undertaking from a pin I saw on pinterest was crepe papering my 7 year old into her room for her birthday so it would be fun to break through in the morning.  Sounds easy!  It sounds like it would be fun as well for the birthday girl, right?   It's now morning time and I'm getting ready so missed it but she comes out of her room, opens the door and is totally confused to what to do so she crawls under the crepe paper!  Hmmm, that didn't quite work out the way I expected.

The current project I'm working on is an Angry Bird Pinata for my daughter's 9th surprise birthday.  It first started as a project for my 4 year old and I to work on together.  He was very enthusiastic so  I assembled everything, make the glue, blew up the balloon and then he decided he didn't want to get dirty.  Sigh.  I continue, alone, and am just done the first coat of paper mache, patting myself on the back as it is looking pretty good so far.  The phone rings, I answer, the balloon pops and I am covered in paper mache.  My 4 year old thinks it is HILARIOUS!    Another balloon, and we've managed to get 4 coats of paper mache on and it is now dried.  My 4 year old decides he wants to fill it with his cars.  Do you know how hard it is to get metal vehicles out of a paper mache pinata without breaking it!?!?  I succeeded.  The paint is now drying and it doesn't quite look like the photos off Pinterest but I think it turned out pretty good.  I can always tell people my kids made it, right?   Anyway, I figure pinatas are just like people.  It's what is in the inside that counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment