Thursday 12 April 2012

Allergy Rant



It has been more than 2 years since our 3rd child was diagnosed with a peanut/tree nut allergy. After our initial allergist appointment we were told he was allergic to peanuts and given a prescription for an epi-pen.  Bye-Bye. (Here is where they pushed us out the door..  kidding... at least they didn't physically push us out)  

 We're still learning about the allergy along they way and now have a great Paediatric Allergist Doctor..  For example we just learnt if he's never been exposed to a certain nut, he may not show as allergic to that nut when doing allergy testing.  I know if you don't have a nut allergy in your house you may not have to think about these things so thought I would compile some tidbits for those who encounter somebody with a nut allergy.

Or maybe you can just call it a rant....

Note:  This is what works for us and is just our opinion, we aren't medical doctors or I'd be charging A LOT for these pointers.

1.  Please do not bring/offer homemade baking.  Unless I know you are as neurotic as I am, you are just going to assist in making my husband and his work friends fat.

2.   Anything purchased from the bulk barn, or bulk areas are out because of cross contamination.  Therefore, the flour purchased at bulk barn may have a secret.  And not a juicy one.

4.  Peanut butter is BAD.  Sooo bad.    

3.   Tim Hortons has warning signs in their drive thru windows and state on their website that their products may contain nuts or be cross contaminated.  Therefore, Tim Hortons timbits is not a suitable snack to bring to a preschool party when you know there are children with nut allergies.

4.   Even if an establishment has a sign saying they are nut free ask anyway. At one we used to visit I thought the cookies looked similar to ones I'd seen somewhere else.  I asked and was told there were NO ACTUAL PEANUTS in them, which is VERY different from nut free.

5.   Labels are our friend.  Bring the box of crackers that shows the ingredients and I'm a happy camper. If I don't know the ingredient list.  I won't serve it.

6.  We discovered www.enjoylifefoods.com and some of their products at our local organic bakery  NUT FREE TRAIL MIX.  WHOO HOO!

Let's just say I'm thankful it's just a nut allergy and otherwise he's a perfectly happy & healthy 4 year old.  Can you imagine if it was a chocolate allergy?  I think if I had a chocolate allergy it would be worth the epi-pen and trip to emerg. and daily at that.




No comments:

Post a Comment