Monday 9 April 2012

Definitely Not Martha

I am definitely not Martha Stewart.  I started out on the right track.  My house was tidy, organized and clean and I had one child.  Then I had another.  Then the girls started to dress themselves.  And then I had the boys.  Martha definitely did not have boys.  It is much easier to keep a neat and tidy house when you only have one child and that child is a girl.   I also gave up on the household decor after the boys.  Specifically, when a glass bowl from the centre of my kitchen table ended up in itsy bitsy pieces on the floor. Every reachable surface in our house has been bare for the last 3 or so years.  We have just started putting a few things back.  We have a sturdy indestructible bowl filled with pine cones on our front hall table.  Thankfully, pine cones are easily replaceable.

My coffee table books haven't fared so well.    My historical Archaeology book is missing the dust jacket.  The Inconvenient Truth has a few rips, tears, and bends.  It looks a little worse for wear, just like our planet.  How ironic.    We purchased a sturdy stainless steel bowl from Ikea for the coffee table as well.  Love the bowl. It is so pretty.  Here it is.  

However,  why must it be so shiny?  The designer obviously did not have toddlers in the house.   I do not love the constant fingerprints on it, nor do I like the dents it puts into the hardwood when one of the boys decide to spin it off the coffee table. 


Back to Martha. I was reading online a "how to guide" on organizing sock drawers that reminded me of her.  Really!?  Who really has the time or desire to fold underwear? If I am in a car accident are they going to notice my underwear is crease free en route to the hospital?  Doubtful.  Do I need to drive myself crazy any more than I already am?   No. I think I'll just stick to separating socks and underwear in the drawers and call it a day..

I'll worry about the bigger problems instead.  This is what a 7 year old (yes, it is Tornado's room) can do to a bedroom after it was cleaned today. Twice.



Are there any stuffed animals left in the bucket?





I would love to trade places with Martha right now.  Leave her in our house for a week and see how she fares.  I think she may have met her match with "Tornado."  I think Martha might be a little worse for wear by the end of the week.  Hopefully, she'd emerge at least sane.

No matter how crazy it can get we are lucky enough to have healthy children who are relatively polite, respectful and sweet. Our house isn't utter chaos as you might expect. Yes, it can be chaotic at times, but realistically I think most families have those moments. So what if I forgot the muffins were in the oven today when I took 5 minutes to help the kids outside.  They were only slightly crispy on the outside.  The kids appreciated the help and isn't that what is important?  Are they going to remember if their underwear was folded nicely in their drawers or will they remember if mommy took the time to help them?

So, if you come to our house you can expect to see some slightly messy but great kids.  Just don't judge me by the creases in my underwear.     





No comments:

Post a Comment